Monday, June 30, 2008

Tri Swim & Bike Trials with Some Race Goals

Testing out myself this week to see how race ready I'll be by next Saturday. I want to push hard this week and get confident for the triathlon, and then go easy next week and put plenty of rest in my schedule.

Today, I started with a trial bike ride. I rode about 17 miles total. I figure I rode the 15.56 miles that I will race in about 55 minutes. I rode on a trainer so I'm not exactly sure, but it seems about right. I average around 16 - 17 mph, which is exactly what I averaged at the beach.

After the bike, I swam about 1,000m at the pool. The race is only 700m, but I know the pool is easier than open water, so I'm training over that distance in the pool. My stroke is only serviceable, and I have a lot more work to do on form, but I got the job done. I lost track of laps, so I may have only swum 950m, but that's ok by me. I made the swim in about 22 minutes. I could feel the stroke fallinig apart at the end.

I was getting worn out by the end of today's workout. So, the triathlon will be a big test next week. With only 11 days to go, I will likely not see much improvement in conditioning. This will be the body I race with. My overall goal is to finish, but I know myself and I need some times to shoot for. I'd like to do the whole thing in under 2 hours. I hope to do the swim under 25 minutes, the bike under an hour, and the run under 30 minutes. But, I'd like to just finish with a smile.

Stats:
Bike
Time: 55:29
Distance 16 mi.
Avg Speed: 17 mph
Avg HR: 135 bpm
Max HR: 148 bpm
Cals.: 644

Swim
Time: 22:25
Distance 950-1000m
Avg Speed: 2:32 min/100 yard
Avg HR: 140 bpm
Max HR: 150 bpm
Cals.: 277

Total Cals.: 921

Next Goal: Tri the Pee Dee under 2 hours

Current Status: :)

Upcoming: Drills for Swim Form & Running Speed Work

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good luck! I will be there too -- it will be my first tri!!!