Monday, June 23, 2008

500m Swim! & The Next BIG Goal!

Back in Columbia, while the family enjoys Surfside, to finish my class. Went to Y, and swam. At first, I was just going to swim my usual laps, but after swimming a warm-up and 200m with a buoy, I started my freestyle laps without support. I just kept going, and soon realized I was about 300m in. I went for more, and made it to 500m. I was so excited. It was a big moment, and I had no one to celebrate with.

Anyway, I can cross off another goal. It wasn't the best 500m swim ever, but I did it. Also, I know I can go further. I was not totally spent. My breathing is good to the left, and I am workingon the right side. I am getting more rotation in my stroke, too. I am not high in the water like I want yet, but it's much better than before. Plenty of more swim work to do, but it's time for a new goal.

I have decided to put up or shut up about the whole Tri thing. I just registered for the Tri the Pee Dee Triathlon on Saturday, July 12. Amy doesn't even know yet. I hope we don't have plans.

That gives me about 2 weeks of prep. So, I'm a tad nervous. The swim is 700m in a small lake. The bike is dead flat, and the overall event sounds ideal for a beginner. This is the time! I will be racing as a novice. I guess that's the right category.

I'd like to celebrate my decision, but with the family away at the beach, I will just go back to the Y tonight for more training.

Next Goal: Tri the Pee Dee Sprint Triathlon

Current Status: Ready to Celebrate

Upcoming: Weights and Cycle tonight

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm.... I talked to you this afternoon and you said you were thinking about this. I read your blog and you say you HAVE registered at 11ish this morning. Hmm... Just kidding. We can celebrate when you get back. We love you and miss you here.