Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Doing a 'Brick' Session

After two days off to work on projects around the house, I really wanted to crush myself today. Add to that the perfect weather. I was in for a great workout. I put together a ride and a run at Sesqui Park today. As soon as I got home from my class, I headed out.

This was my first mountain bike ride in over a week, and I felt it right off. The road rides and training rides just don't match what trail riding asks. Even an easy trail like Sesqui. Immediately, my HR was over 160, and I was gassed. I made it through 2 loops of the bike trail. The sand is so bad, there is no way to carve through turns. The sand is at least 6-8 inches deep in many areas. I had to slow down for every turn o the single track section. It killed my speed.

After the ride, I changed and off I went for a run. It's been years since I ran at Sesqui. I planned to run for about 40 minutes. I caught a great stride early, and felt like I could run forever. I pushed hard, and the uphill section at the end that usually kills me was not as bad as I remembered, so I pushed further and ran up the paved hill that leads up to the ranger station at the front of the park. A serious climb! Much worse thean Ol' Atascedero. It hurt bad. I cruised through the whole workout, but the last 6-8 minutes up the hill, pushed me past my comfort zone.

Overall, I was excited about the 2 hour Brick workout. I was excited by my conditioning. After the workout, I felt sure that I could have done the Tri the Midlands Triathalon this weekend, if only my swim technique was better.

Stats:
Overall Time: 1:58
Bike Time: 1:07
Run Time: 0:40
Transition Time: 11 minutes
Bike Miles: 10.7 miles
Run Miles: ~4 miles
Avg Bike Speed: 9.58 mph
Avg Run Speed: ~10 minute/miles
Total Cals Burned: ~1500
Avg HR: ~150 bpm
Max HR: 169 bpm

Next Goal: Swim 500m

Current Status: Waxed

Upcoming: Spin and Swim

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am proud of you!