Sunday, June 8, 2008

On the Road Again!

Took the Miyata on its first run today. I've been excited to take it out, since I had it fixed.

Riding on the road is way different from trail riding. I forgot how smooth and continuous it is. I hoped on, road around the block to check for fit, lowered the seat, and then headed to the Y and back for test run.

Strange riding on the road. Cars will take getting used to. No close calls or anything, but still a tad unnerving. The bike geometry is totally different. The balance is higher, and holding speed is easier, so climbing hills is more about a good cadence in the right gear than raw muscle power.

I road at noon, and boy the heat was bad. It was baking hot! I spun as hard as possible on the way back to keep a nice breeze going. Ha!!

Stats:
Temp: ~95 degrees (probably hotter on the road)
Distance: 9.63 miles
Time : 38:38
Zone Time: 25:10
Avg Speed: 14.96 mph
Max Speed: 30.08 MPH
Avg HR: 151 bpm
Max HR 167 bpm
Cals. Burned: 525

I plan to run again tonight. I will go slow, and try for 3 laps around the lake! I plan to run for about 45 minute - 1 hour.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Traffic takes time to get use to. Focus on being predictable. Find an empty parking lot and practice looking over your shoulder without veering off your path. Bikes go where your head is pointing most of the time. Also watch out for people attempting to pass you and turning right at intersections. Ride a foot or two off the white line most of the time. It's best to "take the lane" at intersections and ride more towards the center so you don't get right crossed.

Be careful and enjoy the bike :)

Jason said...

http://commutebybike.com/cats/commuting-101/

This link will get you some good road ride info.