Monday, June 2, 2008

Commute Interupted

So, I gleefully dashed out the door this morn with full intentions of riding to work. I grabbed my old bike (Specialized POS), and down the road I went. I made it over the first climb, and through a nice straight section leading to a red light. Happily, my legs started feeling ready to roll, and as I started back on the bike to cross Two Notch Road, I cranked it up to ... Crunch!

My chain, and pedals seized. I darn near shot over the handle bars in the middle of a four lane road. I looked down and noticed... well, didn't notice a rear derailleur(sp?). It was gone. Well, not entirely, but mostly. It had sheered in half and I was stuck.

Here's a pic of the damage. Don't know if you can tell, but the bottom half of the mechanism is wrapped up it the chain. I have no idea how this happened.



I ended up walking back home, and taking the usual way to work. Which, by the way, took 14 minutes. The same time it took me to ride the route yesterday.

I'm taking the bike in to be fixed, and will take my new bike (S-Caliber) tomorrow instead. Hopefully things will go better.

Non-Sequitor Daddy Moment of the Day:

Bobby started swim lessons today. He was great, and I had fun watching him. Chances are pretty good he will swim 500m before me! Here's a pic.


Next Goal: Swim 500m
Current Status: Price shopping cheap derailleurs (sp?)
Upcoming: Double Duty Spin and Swim at the Y

1 comment:

Jason said...

Looks like it's time for a single speed, forget the new derailleur :)