Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Tonight's Theme: Pain

Heading to the Y tonight, I wanted to up the ante on the whole strength training thing. I was downtrodden by the poor work I did earlier in the week, and I want to get more power on my road bike.

I will attempt to strength train twice a week now, and I am adding back in leg exercises that I cutout for running and biking training, hoping not to push to hard. I pushed my reps to the limit in most areas. The leg stuff was especially painful. Not in a bad way. I cranked the reps to the spot right where it verges on being considered torture. I even worked on the hamstrings. I've not done that ever. They seemed especially weak. I wanted to get to a point where moving my arms and legs seemed an effort.

So, I put just about every muscle group on notice tonight. I think its time to push to a new level. The only thing I avoided was shoulders, cause I don't want to strain anything again, and I plan to swim on Thursday.

After the strength stuff, I did fast intervals tonight. I made it through 3 x 8-minute legs at about a 8:30 mile pace. After the lifting, that really put a burn on. I pushed the second leg the hardest, and really felt my legs starting to give out.

Also, I am thinking of putting some muscle building supplement in my training. Now that I'm getting older the muscles don't react like I want, and maybe science will help me out a bit here. Not sure if this is a waste of time and money, but I'll give it a shot for a bit, and see what happens.

Note: The cheap running headphones, really are cheap! Spend the extra money.

Stats:
Run Time: 28:18
Zone Time: 14:46
Distance: ~3 miles
Avg HR: 152
Max HR: 166
Cals Burned: 403

Next Goal: Swim 500m

Current Status: Tight

Upcoming: Spin and Swim

3 comments:

Jason said...

Regular old fashion chocolate milk has been show to function equally well as other post workout "recovery drinks"... it's much cheaper. You have to watch out, most of that other stuff is super high in protein and will help you bulk up, but not necessarily build power.

Training Tim said...

Great Advice! Skim or whole?

Jason said...

I just use the 2% in the fridge.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/524370