Sunday, June 29, 2008

Tri Bike Trial Run

On Saturday morning at Surfside, I decided to take a morning bike run to try out the distance of the Pee Dee Triathlon. I was searching to see how much speed I can hold over 15.56 miles. The course is advertised as dead flat, and being at a flat beach, I had the perfect area to try out my pace for the race.

I set out heading to the far end of Garden City Beach on Ocean Drive from 10 Ave S. in Surfside. Immediately, I noticed I was heading into a full breeze easily about 10 to 15 mph. I could feel the pressure constantly, and even more on gusts around big building fronting the ocean. I could hold about 14-15 mph into the wind without killing my quads. I wanted to set a labored but not exhausting pace, so I could get some information that may be helpful for a triathlon.

Reaching the edge of Garden City and turning around I felt the advantage of the wind. I shout up to 19-20 mph with at the same effort as before. I'm not sure how much aid I was getting, but I believe it was a fair amout. I saw a Harrell's Smurf jersey on a mountain bike that waved going the other direction. I did not recognize the face. Anyone know who it was??

I pedalled down to the far edge of surfside holding the same 19-20 mph the whole way, and turned around again into the wind. As I reach the 12 mile mark and had to labor in the wind, I began to strain fairly heavy to hold my pace up. I having not been training at 15 mile rides, and I could feel my body giving out at the longer ride.

I reach the Garden City Peir as my bike computer showed 15.56 miles. Weird huh! Exactly 15.56 miles. right at the Peir. I was tempted to get off the bike and play some games, but had no money stashed in my riding bib. I rode home at an easy pace.

Stats:
Distance: 15.56 miles
Ride Time: 57:55
Avg Speed: 16.13 mph
Max Speed: 22.93
Avg HR: 146
Max HR: 156
Cals.: 697

Next Goal: Tri the Pee Dee in 13 Days!

Current Status: Tight Quads

Upcoming: A good hard 30 minute run

1 comment:

Jason said...

Nothing is sweeter than a nice tail wind on a road ride. They do help push you along, but not as much as the same wind blowing in your face slows you down. On a windy day you really learn about drafting if you can tuck behind someone. Sounds like your average speed solo with no wind would be around 17 or 18... not to shabby.