Sunday, June 29, 2008

Going for Speed

After running at the beach for the last week and feeling slow in the wind, I wanted to test out my pace on the home course tonight. I felt like I have been getting faster using the interval training, but then at the beach I felt very slow.

Tonight, I was going to run three time around the lake at a good 150+ bpm. I wanted to try and really give my legs a push, and see how they responded.

The run felt good. My legs felt strong. My breathing felt good, even over the hills, and I ran pain free. All great signs! I did not feel overly hot, either. I made the first lake lap at 12 minutes. The second lap at 23 minutes, and I stopped the third lap a hair shy at 33 minutes to get a coold down walk in so I would not have to double back going home. So, I ended up not getting a full three laps.

I figure I ran 3.5 miles at a 9 1/2 minute pace. Not faster than I ran my last 5k. So, I have not gotten faster after all. I do feel better conditioned. I know I can run longer distances. I'm just not faster.

I sprinted the last several hundred yards, and got cookin' just to give a finishing kick. I need more sprint work I feel. I will look into fitting this in after the tri on July 12. On the upside, I had a higher HR for the workout, and I'm pushing the higher limits of my training zone.

Stats:
Distance: 3.5 miles
Pace 9 1/2 minute/ miles
Time: 33:00
Zone Time: 21:14
Avg HR: 155 BPM
Max BPM: 170 BPM
Cals.: 510

Next Goal: Tri the Pee Dee in 12 Days

Current Status: Still Nervous

Upcoming: Pee Dee test swim and bike
Max HR: 170

3 comments:

Jason said...

Ready for a road ride?

Training Tim said...

You Bet! You'll dust me, Mr. 20mph is an easy pace. I was planning on riding Harbi on Wed. We could road ride instead. Then I'd do Harbi on Saturday. I like your idea of staying off the road for the 4th

Jason said...

You can practice your drafting skills at 20 mph :)

I'm planning on a Harbison ride for Sat. The roads around the lake will be too crazy for me. I have some extra stuff I need to do around the yard/house so I won't be able to ride this week during the week. Maybe we can do a road ride after your event?