Monday, June 23, 2008

Getting Race Ready

Now that I have to et ready for my first triathlon, my workouts seem to have more importance!. I hit the hits weights and went through each major muscle group three times. I take it easy on the shoulders now since swimming hits them hard. I have put legs in the workout again. I hope to develop more power this way

It was getting late, and the Y closes at 10, so I had to force a quick spin in the trainer. I made up 27 minutes and 30 seconds before the lights got cut off. I rode exactly 8 miles. I averaged about 18 mph I think. I want to push this the next few weeks. I have a 25k (about 15 miles) bike in the race to do. I want to be able to make a good time in the bike. I hope to do it under 45 minutes. But, this being my first race I'll be happy with anything!

Overall, my body feels good. No nagging injuries other than the pesky left shin, but it's been worse. My knees feel strong and I want to get them in top shape! My shoulders feel good. The right shoulder seems a tad tight, but that's to be expected from the swim today. I want to push my HR up the next couple weeks. My max seems a bit low, and I wonder if I'm just not pushing hard enough in the workouts. I seem to top out at 170. I'd like to make it to 180.

Next Goal: Tri the Pee Dee Sprint Triathlon

Current Status: Excited, nervous about my first triathlon

Upcoming: Beach Bike

3 comments:

Jason said...

15.56 miles in under 45 minutes is pretty fast man. That's over 20 mph for 45 minutes with no drafting and trying to leave something in the tank to fuel a 5k. You might want to find a stretch of road and see if you can hold that pace for 30 minutes on a real bike. I don't trust those exercise bike computers.

I don't want to throw cold water on your enthusiasm though. Good luck!

Training Tim said...

Ok, so It's a tad ambitious.

Jason said...

Nothing wrong with a lofty goal:)

I'd just hate to see you jump on the bike and kill the first 5k at 22 mph and creep along for the last 20k. I've found those exercise bike computers don't know what your speed is. I rode one in the gym at it told me I was going 16 mph. The one next to it told me I was going 25 mph. I think my average speed at the time was 18.