Monday, May 5, 2008

Swimming Session 2 or Delayed Drowning

Took on another swim workout today. My original plan was to follow the initial workout of a triathlon plan I found in the library. The plan was for a warm up of 200m then 100 meters of drills followed by 200 meters of cool down.

I attempted to complete the 200 warm up switching styles between crawl, and breaststroke for 8 lengths of the pool, but just don't have the ability to do the strokes with any confidence. I quickly ran out of steam, and broke off from my plan, since I have trouble swimming at an easy rate and still be able to stay above water.

I ended up scrapping my workout, and just opted to swim lengths of the pool as long as I could switching between the crawl, breaststroke, and kick board drills with breaks just about every length. I believe I need to find a way to kick more efficiently and get my hips up higher in the water. Several times I noticed my legs dragging low and behind. So, I will be working on increasing my kick in the pool, but I just don't seem to be coordinated enough to get the whole stroke to work together. I either give to much arm or leg, but not together.

On an up note, I was able to breath better using the crawl stroke. I have found that the deeper I swing my off shoulder, the higher I get out of the water to get air. I want to slow down my stroke rate, so I can conserve air, but this is where I run into trouble.

In all, I swam for about 30 minutes. I lost track of lengths of the pool, but felt like I got a good workout. Legs and arms were a bit wobbly after I got out of the pool, so the muscles definetly got a good stretch.

Next Goal: Swim 500 meters without stoppping

Current Status: Searching for a Swimming for Dummies Book

Upcoming: Spin Class at the Y on Tuesday.

No comments: