Thursday, May 8, 2008

Swim Workout #3

Grabbing my goggles, kickboard, and leg floats, I jumped in the pool at the Y tonight for my 3rd serious training swim. Tonight, I wanted to focus more on keeping track of my workout. I have not been well prepared for the swim training, and the plans I have set out for myself have not gone well.

I started with a 100m warm up. By switching between the crawl and the breaststroke every touch, I was able to make it without resting.

After the warm up, I worked on 25m stints practicing a different drill each time. I switched between kickboard, left arm crawls, and right arm crawls, and threw in some crawls with leg floats to practice breathing.

Definitely not earth shattering stuff, but I did see some improvement. Maybe not in overall length, I likely swam just about 500m total, but my technique seems to be coming along. I noticed that if I keep my ear in the water when I rotate to breath, I keep better form, and am able to get more air in between strokes. Plus, I worked on slowing down my stroke. I noticed that if I watch my arm when I rotate to breath, this actually slows my pace, and lowers my heart rate, which allows my to control my breathing better.

I end with a 100m cooldown, just the way I started. I say cooldown, but this is not true. The last few strokes coming to the wall at the end were arm burners.

Since I started the workout tonight in the wellness/weight room upstairs by doing lots of abdominal work, mixed with some chest, and arms exercises, I did not push the amount of swimming tonight. I was happy to just work on form, which is probably what I need to do most anyways.

On a side note, I think the swimming may be a cause for the lower heart rate during biking and running. Swimming kicks my butt and pushes me to VO2 Max (Maximum Oxygen Consumption) quickly, and as a side effect, I may be getting some payoff on the other discplines.

Next Goal: Swim 500m

Current Status: Loving the Dry Sauna at the Y (Nothing is better than 15 minutes of dry heat on sore, tired muscles. Oh Man! I gotta build one those at my house.)

Upcoming: 2 Loops at Sesqui

1 comment:

Jason said...

On the lower heart rate for biking from swimming... keep in mind that no matter how good your conditioning becomes, biking will never get easier than it is now. You'll just get much faster with the same effort!

Sounds like swimming is on track :)