Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A New Toy Tested

I had planned on riding at Harbi tonight, but after hearing from Jason about likely storms, I revamped my plans. Since I was able to get home earlier with no tutoring in the schedule, I talked Amy into taking me to get a HR monitor (Birthday Present). Of course, now that I had a new toy, I had to test it out.

Off I went in to the Land of Y to weight train and work a 45 min training bike session. The weight training was labored at best. Not very enjoyable. This may be due to the fact that the weight scale that I stood on right before starting, showed several added pounds from a weekend at the beach, I guess! What the heck!!

Did the usual weight thing. Must add that I hate doing crunches or any ab work. This might explain my stubborn belly, however, I worked this area harder than any other. Yet, still I hate crunches.

Between weights and biking, I met a guy that is training for his first triathlon as well. He's been on it for 4 months, and will do his first next month at the Tri the Midlands in Lake Carolina. I had thought about doing this as well, but with lagging water skills, I have postponed my first triathlon. The dude tore it up on a bike and run in the wellness center, and he said he'd swum as well for a full tri tonight. He was in amazing shape, and I found it a tad intimidating to think we both are starting Triathlons. He's way above my ability right now, but I did feel better when he added that he to struggled with swimming at first, and just about sucked at it as bad as I do now. So, that was good news.

On the bike, I felt great, and pushed it hard to get some feedback using the HR machine. I saw a few times when the watch lost signal so my final stats are a bit off (I think they should be higher).

Stats:
Time = 45:00
Total Distance = 12.3 miles
Avg. Speed = 16.4 mph
Avg HR = 134 (Low in my opinion)
Max HR = 158
Time in Zone = 36:58 (Low in my opinion)
Cals. Burned = 494 (Low in my opinion)

Next Goal: Swim 500m

Current Status: Left Shin feeling better, Left Knee on ice

Upcoming: Hopefully a Spin Class and maybe a swim too!

Non-Sequitor Note:
Fav. Daddy Moment of the Day: Looking one way while walking in Target, my mind in a fog, and feeling my son's had slip into mine. Instant Happiness!

4 comments:

Jason said...

Now that you have a HR monitor, you have to be willing to do the painful "find your real max" test to get the most out of it:

1. Warm up.
2. Find a hill.
3. Ride it as hard as you can several times.
4. Ride it again and just when you get to the top... stand and sprint until your body shuts down the effort.
5. Look down through blurry vision... that's your real max.

Formulas are way off most of the time. My max is suppose to be around 190 by the formulas... it's 213 measured.

hammernails said...

Don't let Jason fool you he is super human when it comes to Max HR. I have never seen above 193 BPM. Everyone is different but he is right find a hill and absolutely obliterate your self. Tell your wife were you are going incase you pass out J.K.!

Training Tim said...

This all smacks of ending that goes something like this...

"Well..., Amy..., he's dead, but his max hr was 207!"

Jason said...

Also, a better measure of fitness is checking your resting heartrate when you get up in the morning after a rest day. If you're in the 40's that's good. If you're in the 60's you're not as fit. But then again, everyone is different.

Once you get your training max, you want to train yourself to be in the 70%-85% zone for harder efforts and the 60% zone for endurance. Bike races are normally in the 80% to 90% zone. 5k's are 95% to 99%.