Friday, August 1, 2008

Hot Harbison Ride

I was planning to ride early, but laziness held back, and I did not make it to the trails until later this afternoon around 1pm. I was in a hurry to get back home so I was only going to get one loop of the midlands trail in before having to get back towards northeast. Luckily, too, it was so hot I could not have ridden much more without completely burning up, and with a race tomorrow that is probably not a good idea.

I rode the loop okay. Not as fast as I want, but I have not ridden in the heat much, and its been over a week since I rode Harbison. I felt good on some of the technical sections, but the hills killed me today. I even had to walk the last several yards of the big midlands mountail climb by the bluffs. 

My heart rate was high the whole ride, and I was breathing very hard on the tough parts even though I was not trying to push hard today. Most likely due to the heat. I was amazed how much the temperature bothered me. Heading home, I saw another biker getting ready to head out (The only other car in the lot!), and told him good luck with the heat. His reply was, "It's no big deal. You just have to get used to it." 

I have no idea how you get used to 100+ heat. I think he's full of BS.

Stats:
Distance: 9.2 miles
Time: 56:52 
Avg. Speed: 9.71 mph
Max Speed: 19.18 mph
Avg HR: 150 bpm
Max HR: 167 bpm

Next Goal: Hot August Night 5k under 26 minutes

Current Status: HOT

Upcoming: Race Day

No comments: