Thursday, August 7, 2008

Bike to Y for Swim

With a break in the heat (kinda) I decided to ride up to the Y and back with a break for a nice swim at the pool. Heading up was about 4.5 miles from my house, and once I got to the Y, I showered the sweat off and hit the pool. I swam a ladder of 50, 100, 200, 200, 100, 50. It was a nice pace, and I am starting find a nice form in the pool again after such a long layoff. I did not time anything, but after another week or so I will swim a 1,000m with time to see if I'm faster in the pool than in June and July.

I rode home a different way cutting through Lake Carolina and Summit. I never knew there was a cut through until recently, so I wanted to see what is was like heading home that way. It was much longer and hillier, and it hurt my average speed. I was not as fast on the bike as I was back in June. I have not been on the road as much lately, and I think It showed. I want my average speed over 18 mph, and would like to be able to hit 20 mph as average for a 15 mile ride.

Stats:
Swim: 700m
Bike 14.31 miles
Time: 54:01
Avg Speed: 15.90 mph
Max Speed: 31.20 mph

Next Goal: 12k in October

Current Status: Wheezy (I have had to use the inhaler. August Air Quality SUCKS!) 

Upcoming: Big Easy Ride at Lake Carolina

2 comments:

Jason said...

Are you getting caught by traffic or having to stop and start a lot? If you are, the only way you are going to average 20 is to hammer all out. I found that to average 20 in stop and go you have to sprint every light and hold 26 mph on the flats as long as you can. Average speed on short town trips should not get you down. If you average 16 mph on a 5 mile stretch of country road that's one thing... town riding is different :)

Training Tim said...

I did have some stop and go, and slowed a bit for some turns, but really it was country road stuff mostly. I just wasn't killing it either.