Saturday, August 9, 2008

Sprint Work

Today's goal: Sprinting

Amy and I hit the track at Spring Valley High School around 11 am in hopes of working on getting faster. It's an experiment based on what I've read about running.

We started with a mile warm up. I did a 9:30 mile pace and Amy was at a 10 min pace. I followed with a plan of 4 400 meter sprints and to finish with another mile. I ran the first three 400s at a 1:30 pace, but the last 400 was too much for me. I hit the wall, and stopped after only 200 m. Amy did not run 400s but was doing 200s and I was using her to pace me. The last 400, she was ahead of me on her 200 and I tried catching up, and lost it. 

The sprint work was not fun. I enjoy jogging, but now realize that I hate sprinting. It was all hard work. I did not finish with a mile at the end. The track was hot. Choosing to run in the middle of the day was not the best idea.

Hopefully, doing this a few more time will help me in the longer runs, so I can reach my goals in the 5k.

Next Goal: 12k in October

Current Status: Sore left big toe again! Left shoulder is also strained.

Upcoming: Rest

5 comments:

Jason said...

I'm jealous. I like sprinting hard more than jogging long. Maybe we can hook up at the track next time you guys go out.

Anonymous said...

I would like to point out that I was under 10 minute pace. Those 4 seconds make a difference, it means I can say I ran under a 10 minute pace. I just don't say how far under.

Toby Porter said...

They (the experts) say that speedwork is the key to improvement.I'm with you it's the bad after taste of running but it's part of the game.

Did I see you at HSP Sunday?

Unknown said...

They say "fartlek" means "speed play" in Swedish, but we were always convinced that it was a torture method passed amongst our nation's cross-country coaches. Our highschool coach was particularly skilled at using it.

For the record, the best season our team ever had (40-1 record, county champs), we were doing step aerobics once a week. I'd take that over fartlek any day.

Training Tim said...

HSP? Not sure what that is, but I doubt it was me. Thanks for the idea andy!