Wednesday, August 6, 2008

New Ground in Running

Today, I ended up running on the treadmill at the Y. With the heat, I just don't have the nerve to try much outdoors in the middle of the day. Also, I did not want to run late at night either. I have decided to focus on getting ready for a 12k in October. This will be the longest race yet for me, and I decided to see how I would do on a hour long run today.

I started out slow with 11 minute and 10 1/2 minute mile pace to see how my body was doing. I did not feel great at the start. I was not motivated and seemed to have trouble getting going. But, by the 30 minute mark, my legs loosened up and I pushed a 10 minute mile pace. I find it weird, but it was like my body took 30 minutes to warm up! At this point, I cruised the rest of the way through the run until the last 10 minutes. I love running in the zone. I felt like no one else was in the Y. Actually, I was! Literally, everyone had left the health and fitness area. Strange.

On a side note, I discover the treadmills at the Y cut your run off at the 50 minute mark. I guess this is so people like me don't hog them. Anyways, I hit the reset but and finished my last 10 minutes. This was hard, since my legs had stopped! And, they seemed to like it that way. Well, I forced the to go one more 10 minute mile. 

The run felt great. I feel like I have been running pain free for a month now, and I am ready to push to a new level. I have no shin pain, and my knees are good. My feet were a bit sore, but that's not a big deal. I just rest a day and then they are good to go. I will try out some speed work on a track next time out for a run. I have not seen myself progress much lately, so I want to investigate with running sprints and see if I can lower my mile pace over the next month or so.

This was the longest and furthest I have ever run. I made it over 5.75 miles in the hour run, and I could have pushed harder. I only ran at about 75 percent.

Stats:
Time: 1 hour
Distance: 5.75 miles
Avg HR 144 bpm
Max HR: 153 bpm
Cals: 761

Next Goal: 12K in October

Current Status: Best day of the week

Upcoming: swim and bike

No comments: