Sunday, July 6, 2008

Triathlon Trial Day

Finally fit in a full test run of the triathlon distances for next Saturday Morning. I have not rehearsed the transitions yet, since that is kinda hard to do at the Y. I will do that sometime this week.

Starting the swim was not easy, since the pool was full today. Luckily someone left and I moved to an open lane. I swam 1,000m just under 25 minutes, which is my informal goal. I felt good, and did not try to push it at all. I swam easy, and looked for ways to coast through strokes as much as possible. I felt my form was better at the end than at the beginning. Leaving the pool, I took some Heed swigs and a Gu pack while changing for the bike and run upstairs.

Once I got in the Wellness Center, I found a bike and started off at a 16 mph pace. I set the trainer on cross country mode, which includes several medium to hard climbs. I focused on keeping my speed above 16 mph for the whole hour. I did not have much fun on the bike portion today. I felt slow, and my left knee was sore some of the ride. I took about 57 minutes to complete 16 miles, which was just under my 1 hour goal for the bike. 

Quickly, I washed down my sweat laden bike and moved to a treadmill. I started at a 10 minute mile pace, and quickly realized running the 5k under 30 minutes would be hard. I drank a Heed bottle on the bike, and only had 1/2 a Heed bottle left from the pool transition. I felt tight starting the run. Jason was right my hips took about 2 minutes to loosen up from the ride. After the first mile, I ran a 9 minute pace for the second. By the end of the second mile, my body started shutting down. I ran out of water, and wished I had brought more Gu. A second Gu before starting the run would have been nice. I backed down to a 10 minute pace and finished the 5K at exactly 30 minutes.

Overall, I was happy to complete the trial in all the goals I have set for next week. I feel good about going into next Saturday, and will scale way back on my training this week. Nothing over 30 minutes, and I will keep the intensity light. My body was not used to the length of workout, and I felt my energy falling away the last 10 minutes of the trial today. Plus, I feel that my test run indoors will be easier than open water swim, and outdoor run and bike next week.

About 2 hours after the trial run today, I felt a complete drop in energy. I have eaten plenty and drank a bunch, but still I feel very worn down and lethargic. I guess that's usual for such a taxing training session, but I was not planning on feeling this drained. Also, my face is chapped from the constant wiping I did with a towel on the bike and run to keep the sweat off my face. I had not even thought about that. My face is awfully red and sore tonight.

My left knee only hurt for about 20 minutes on the bike leg. It went away near the end of the ride, and did not hurt at all on the run. My left calf felt great on the run, too. It was a tad sore for the first mile, but went away completely after that. My shoulder did not hurt in the swim either. My body seems good to go for next week, once I gain my energy back. No lagging injuries to worry about seems good news.

Bike Stats:
Time: 57 min.
Distance: 16 miles
Avg Speed: 16.84 mph

Run Stats:
Time: 30 min.
Distance: 3.1 miles
Pace: 9.68 min/mile

Total Bike/Run HR Data
Avg. HR: 138
Max HR: 155
Cals: 1091

Next Goal: Tri the Pee Dee under 2 hours

Current Status: Whipped!

Upcoming: Very light 20 minutes workout

1 comment:

Jason said...

Congrats on the Test-Tri! Gu works best by eating it about every 45 minutes. You might consider: one 15 min before your swim, one in T1, one 10 min before you come off the bike or in T2. Each pack is suppose to have the amount of calories you can absorb while working hard and nothing more. Just enough to keep you from bonking. I'd expect that the race day adrenalin will push you faster and hard than your test too.