Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Beach Trip Update

Got back from Surfside yesterday. I have not updated the blog lately, since internet is sketchy at the beach. Wireless interent at grandma's house is off a borrowed (pirated) signal from the neighbors house, so it's not always available.

Anyway, I was only able to fit in 2 workouts between dodging Tropical Depression rain bands, and beach fun. One run and one bike during the extended weekend.

The run was a 3.5 mile out and back along ocean drive with Amy and her sister Becky. The pace was mild for the first part, but when Amy and Becky turned back early, I decided to play catch-up and see if I could run the down even though the had a 1/2 mile head start. I ran at top speed for the last section. They never got in sight, however, I did find them after my run as they came off the beach. I was not too far behind. Only a minute or so.

The bike was 27 miles round trip around ocean drive from one end of Surfside to Garden City and back a few times. I had trouble with my knee the first 15 miles, and thought about stopping the ride, however, when I stopped for water at Surfside Pier, I stretched the knee out and it felt loads better the rest of the ride. I average only 17 mph the first part of the ride, but after the knee thing worked itself out, I was around 20 mph the rest of the ride. The ride was pretty basic, however, I did almost get slammed by a golf carting family. The cart was going slow and only part on the road, so I was passing on the left. As I passed, the little girl swerved for a left had turn without signalling, and I had to veer into oncoming traffic to avoid being run over. Thank goodness there was no one coming the other direction.

One of my biggest pet peeves is golf carts at the beach. I hate that everyone lets their kids drive the things, and they always seem to talking on cell phones, and not paying any attention to what's going on around them. It used to be only a few family's that had them, but know I see almost as many carts as cars. I wish Surfside would do something to stop it, but as usual I seem to be in the minority with my opinion in regards with what children should and should not be allowed to do.

No comments: