Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Big Day - Harbison Distance Record

Started the day with weight training, and a swim at the Y. Weight training went well, and I put some time in on the rowing machine, which I have not used lately. It's great for just about every muscle group, and I need to use it more often. Did the usual weights, and swam about 500m in different sets. I focused on form, and was very happy with my progress. I was swimming with weight free hands and was able to focus more on breathing to both sides. I swam a few sets of 100s and the rest 50s and 25s.

This afternoon I made it over to Harbison around 3pm for a ride. It's been awhile since I've really had a chance to ride it, and since the last few times with the Harrell's Group, I've wimped out after just doing Lost Creek, I made sure to put in more miles. I wanted to do 15 miles with Lost Creek and the Loop around Midlands Mountain without Spider Woman.

I saw the new section on Firebreak that Jim blogged about. I agree it looks well banked and planned. It will be fast when the trail settles in. I was tentative on the loose dusty surface. I liked the design. Very much like FATS in my opinion.

Starting off on Lost Creek, I had a great ride. I was averaging about 9.5 mph, and had hopes of doing 10. I saw some neat wildlife (Deer, Rabbits & a Squirrel even jumped right over my front tire), and felt good. About 1/2 way in a rested a bit, and the rest of the ride back doing the loop clockwise was much tougher and technical. I slowed down, and lost my legs on a hill and ended up walking to the crest. My riding technique is not great, and it always shows on the LC. I bounced over roots, and could not hold speed. My back started tightening up, and I started to feel beat up and spit out by the trail. The average speed dropped down to 9 mph by the end of the trail. I did make it through the up & Down Switchbacks at the end without much trouble (Great or ME!!), but bailed on the dry creek bed that has that teeny little channel to guide the front tire through. Man, that section is getting tough, since the tire sized channel is getting so deep. I needed to have more speed, and hop the tire over that part, but lacked the nerve and skill.

As its been lately, I felt like cruising back to the parking lot, but I forced myself to stay out. I rested at the edge of LC and took in some Gu, and fluids. I watched jealously as a few other riders zoomed past. Man, I have no idea how some folks speed through the trail. I must spend more time trail riding. Focusing on the Triathlon meant more road work, but the trail work demands so much more. 

After the rest, I headed out to Midlands Mountain Trail. I practiced using my tall front gear more to get the speed up, but I bounced too much downhill, and rode poor lines in the curves, and backed off in tougher spots. The full suspension is a godsend, but I could stand to work more on balance to improve overall bike handling. I crested the 2 tough climbs on Midlands in granny gears sucking wind, and rested at the top of the last one by the Bluffs. Feeling the back getting really tight, I laid down on a bench and drained the rest of my Bladder Pack, wishing I had thought to mix up some Heed for the ride. I could have used it there. I enjoyed the shade for a bit, and was treated with some time watching a humming bird zip around in the forest. I thought about riding down to the river or a splash, but headed down the home stretch instead.

Making may way back on Firebreak I wanted to try and get my average up to 10 mph. I was around 9.25 at the time, and really tried to crank hard the last few miles. I did go faster. I usually ride this section well, since it's not too technical, but my quads just did not have the power, and I could only hold 14 mph for a few minutes at a time before small hills broke my cadence and downshifting dropped the speed back down.

I ended up riding more miles than I ever remember doing at Harbison - 15 exactly, but unhappily only averaged 9.5 mph. I had a great time. Just wish it was faster. Finished of the day with a splash in the pool with my boys. I must say. The weather was great, and this was on overall exceptional day filled with lots of fun.

Bike Stats:
Trail Time: 1:50:35
Bike Time: 1:35:13
Rest Time 15:20 ( I needed it, too!!)
Distance: 15 miles exactly!!
Avg. Speed: 9.45 mph
Max Speed: 18.23 mph
Avg HR: 147 bpm (Would have been higher without the rest!)
Max HR: 168 bpm
Cals: 1492 

Next Goal: Hot August Night under 26 minutes

Current Status: Glad to be getting in better shape

Upcoming: Mowing the lawn, heading to the beach. Rest.

1 comment:

Jason said...

We'll have to get you up to 20 miles as the standard Harbison day :) 30 is not too bad either, but I start getting bored after that unless you're doing an 'urban assault' think over there and back.