Saturday, July 5, 2008

Changing Plans

I had hoped to do a brick on Friday. Cancelled due to a Zoo Trip.

I had planned to ride a bunch at Harbison this morning. Cut short. I brought a friend who is new to cycling, and he did not make it very far. I felt bad. I was trying to go slow, and be a gracious host. As I heard more and more obscenities fly through the trail, I knew he was not having fun. We turned around after only a few miles on Firebreak. I think he believes I was trying to kill him.

I did get some good biking in this afternoon. A package of new stuff I ordered for the Triathlon arrived, and I wanted to test it out. So, I spun around the sandy trails that dot the landscape of the Sandhill's Research Center by my house. I had to be creative to make it interesting. I looked for new trails, and did a lot of doubling up on my favorite sections. My new equipment worked great. I got new shorts specific for Triathlons, and riding glasses. Also, I tried out some Gu, and was not totally grossed out by the Vanilla flavor. 

The last half the ride, I tried using my tallest front gear more for power, and I built more speed than usual. I went from averaging 10 mph in sections to 13 or 14 mph. Big difference and I did not feel much more strain either. I need to try using the big gears on my bike more. I tend to hold back in the middle range, and forget the advantage of owning a 27 speed.

Still wish I had been able to ride more at Harbison. I miss fun trails. Sesqui and Sandhills just don't cut it.

Stats: 
Ride Time: 1:09:03
Distance: 11.54 miles
Average Speed: 10.04 mph
Max Speed: 24.66 mph
Avg HR: 138 bpm
Max HR: 158 bpm

Next Goal: Tri the Pee Dee under 2 hours

Current Status: Missing Harbison

Upcoming: Tri Test Run (For sure this time!!)

No comments: