Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Solid Workout Starts new Month!

Headed to the Y, and absolutely enjoyed a swim and run today.

I was not swimming distance, but working on form using the drills from my Total Immersion book. Today was drills to work on balance in the pool. I did three different drills with and without fins to help. I swam some laps with a buoy, and then swam 300m on my own. I have to work on keeping my head in position when breathing. I tend to bob down on rotations to breath. I especially have trouble rotating to the right. I liked swimming with fins. Man, I was soo fast, but I don't want to do too much and forget how it feels with my feet.

After the swim, I moved upstairs for a run. I wanted to run a 5k distance, and for some reason, I am still fixated on running faster, so I ended up pushing my first mile at a 9 minute pace, the second at 8, and the last at 9 with a quarter mile sprint to finish. I ran the 5K under 27 minutes today. That's at least 1 minute off my Riverfest run from May. So I am getting faster!

My left calf cramped up a bit, so I'm icing it. Not a shin pain as I've been getting. More of a lower back calf. Likely from the heavy work in the fin and run. More calf strain than I've done lately.

Run Stats:
Distance: 3.1 mi.
Time: 26:34
Pace: 8 1/2 mile/min.
Avg HR: 155 bpm
Max HR: 164 bpm
Cals.: 388

Next Goal: Tri the Pee Dee under 2 hours

Current Status: Solid but ice on left calf

Upcoming: Maybe ride with J? Maybe Big Swim? Maybe Harbison? It Depends

2 comments:

Jason said...

Just curious, have you tried to run after exhausting yourself on the bike? I would think that would be the most difficult part about the 5k... that your hip flexors would not work for the first 2k.

Training Tim said...

I will try that next. I plan to do a test run on Friday at the Y. Good Idea. I have not thought about that. I may try that tomorrow.