Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Call Me Turtle?

I knew going into tonight's ride with the regulars from Harrell's that I would be the slowest in the group. I knew I would have to push it to keep up. I knew it would be fast. I wanted to try my best and not slow everybody down. You know, kinda hold my own.

Well, I couldn't even keep the main group in sight. I felt bad every time Jason kindly turned back around to check on me. And, I promise I was going as hard as I could. Sorry to anyone that got annoyed.

Doing Lost Creek for the second time tonight was tough. I just can't find a groove on the single track back there. I will keep riding it as much as possible to get more comfortable on the swoops, turns, valleys, and tight terrain. My legs tightened up fast, and the burn really bothered me. I pushed as hard as I could, but without being able to let loose and carve, I worked much harder than I should have. The last couple valleys with turns really through me around. I have to find some speed in that section, but don't have the balance, or confidence yet. It would be worth it to just practice that section a few times.

Even though I was slow, I was extremely happy riding my new bike. The S-Caliber is much more bike than I am used to, and it will take time to be able to push the bike to its ability. I felt like I had to hold it back. The bike took turns well, and I am not used to being able to lay a bike on its edge. As I learn to trust the bike, I will be able to lean it out more. The suspension is light years ahead of my old bike. I hardly felt bumps that used to jolt me clear out of the sadle on over the handle bars. The last section of the Stewardship I rode before heading back on the dirt rode to the parking lot was awesome. I let loose and soared over terrain without a care or worry. I loved the handling at high speed. Actually, the bike felt better the faster I let it go.

On an odd note, learning to use the grip shifters was more of a struggle than I had ever imagined. I know this is strange, but I kept having to think about left or right, up or down as I made gear adjustments.

On the gravel road back, I decided to spin as hard as possible. And, boy was I surprised how light the bike is and how fast I was able to go over hills that used to gas me. Clearly, I will love this bike!.

I was not sure how hard I had pushed it tonight. Being so far behind the others, and enjoyed the new ride, I had lost track, however, as I got in my car to leave the forest, I started coughing and noticed my exercise induced asthma was cranking up. I have not had issue with it, since about a month into my training. If my lungs were swelling up, then I must have pushed my heart rate into new territory. Jason promised me riding with Monty would do that.

Next Goal: 5k on Saturday under 29 minutes (3 days away)

Current Status: Humble

Upcoming: Not sure. Probably a light workout and some time on the elliptical machine.

3 comments:

Jason said...

Keep in mind that some of those guys are the fastest people who ride out there. More than half of those riders race Expert. Don't worry annoying anyone, it's an informal ride. Stopping every once in a while to talk smack while you wait on slower riders is part of the charm. The fast guys enjoy seeing us pull up out of breath and then taking off since they're recovered.

You only learn to go faster when you actually go faster. It was a good ride for you if you were forced to push the envelope a little.

Bike computer man... it will give you hard numbers to see your improvement.

Glad you like the new bike though!

Training Tim said...

Go Fast to be fast?! Great advice Miyagi.

Jason said...

Remember left pedal, left leg. Right leg, right pedal. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Don't forget to breathe... very important!

You might try doing your next ride as a series of intervals. Ride fast, focus on keeping momentum and not hitting the breaks for five minutes. The recover for five minutes and just enjoy being in the woods.