Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Mark Spitz, I am NOT!

I am NOT a strong swimmer. Growing up, I never took lessons. I can swim enough to keep above water. That's about it. So, taking up swimming to compete in triatholons will be a challenge.

Taking to the pool today to start some laps, I had no idea how I'd do, but now that I am home, I feel worse than when I started. I have no idea what sort of workout I got. You don't sweat when swimming. Or do you? I was out of breath every lap. I could not control my breathing, and had trouble sucking in water during strokes. I actually went backwards, when I tried using a kick board. Sad.

I sink like a rock. I fight the water. I have no skill. This is not going to be easy.

I swam (or at least was in the water) for about 30 minutes. I learned that fighting to swim harder does not get you anywhere. Unfortunately, for me, that's just about how I approach most things in life. I never was gifted with much skill in life, but learned to fight harder than those around me to do better.

In school, I'd study twice as hard as others to make "C's." In most sports, I practice longer, train harder, to do just as well as others. What I lacked in skills, I made up for with tenacity.

Swimming is not that way. I must learn the skill. Watching the smooth, effortless strokes of those around me was frustrating. I find it fascinating how little effort they incorporate into something that requires all out effort for me.

Next Goal: RiverFest Epilepsy 5K under 29 minutes (4 days to go)

Current Status: Icing a sore left bicep (over exerted from swimming), Searching for "Swimming f0r Dummies" books.

Upcoming: Harbison Ride for the S-Caliber on Wednesday. (Inagural Ride!)

1 comment:

Jason said...

Swimming will kick your a$$ faster than anything else man. It's a total body beatdown. Try learning the breaststroke first. It's easier to get the hang of because you are looking where you are going the entire time. It's not as fast as the front crawl, but it will "click" faster.