Friday, April 25, 2008

Late Night Home Track Run

Got home around 9:30, after working all day on after-school Springfest events. Since I did not get any exercise yesterday, I knew I had to get going on my run. I did not want 2 days of inactivity to go by. Today was my first run of the last week of my training program. If I plan it right, I will run my last day on Wednesday, and then chill until race day.

Stretched, and out the door I went around 10 pm. Ran like heck, and even after a full day of being on my feet I was able to push the pace. Today's run was a 30 minute jog, and I wanted to get some miles down. If my estimate is right, I will have put together a 10 mile week of running. I do like running outside, especially at night. It's peaceful, and I get to enjoy a nice breeze off the lake, as a result of the micro-weather pattern due to the heat relapse over the water front.

About a mile into the run, I started feeling the left calf ball up. This has become pretty common. I have had trouble keeping my left calf loose, and then today, my right calf went, too. It's not the whole muscle. It's just the inside scoop up the big toe side. I feel it most running downhill. It's not enought pain to force me to stop, but it's starting to build.

Unfortunately, I am beginning to surmize that this may be due to all my night training. With my work schedule, it's almost impossible to get a workout in during the day, and I am not a morning person. So I will have to figure this one out. I plan to go with some serious human body science. I will be upping the nutrion factor, as a first stage of assault. Tonight, I have added a 1/2 gallon of h20, a banana, and raisins. Also, I will be searching for additional supplements to help.

I have been very happy with my training success so far, and I think the level of workout I have achieved is starting to tax my body. As a result, I will have to adjust my scketchy food intake, and use better judgement about what I eat, so that I can continue to see improvements.

By the way, if Mapmyrun.com is to be trusted, I ran about 3.25 miles in 30 minutes tonight.

Next Goal: Riverfest 5k on May 3 under 29 minutes (8 Days Left!)

Current Status: Sore calves, full bladder.

Upcoming: Hopefully a ride at the Whitewater Center in Charlotte on Sunday with the S-Caliber.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Sounds like you need to taper down a bit before the 5K, but that you are on track to meet or beat your goal! I can't wait for the 5k to be over with so I don't have to run anymore. Guess I'm a bike guy :)