Saturday, April 19, 2008

Lost Creek Ride

Took on the Lost Creek trail at Harbison with Jason this am. Getting up and going before 7:30 was my first challenge of the day. I was surprised by the cold chill still in the air as we headed off down Firebreak on our way to the trail, but as Jason promised, I didn't fell cool for long.

Lost Creek trail was a real challenge for me today. After falling in the RTR race last weekend, I have begun to realize I need to work on improving my bike skills. The tight, undulating single track on LC trail forced me to think about body position and momentum through turns and up hills. At first, my hardtail bounced along the rooted course and my rear tire spent a good bit of time in the air. I had a difficult time keeping in the groove that Jason was taking, however, by the end, I believe I have a few points to work on: 1: Keep back over the saddle. My rear is scooting forward and taking weight off the back end. 2: Keep upright. I noticed that I'm leaning too far into turns, and loosing balance. 3: Keep my Arms from bending in. The last bit on the trail I was able to get the groove better when I sat back and kept my arms my rigid.

This was a nice ride to help work on riding skills. Not as much cardio, or conditioning work, but still I was sweating so I did have to work at it today. Jason was kind enough to lead me through the technical parts. Hope I didn't hold him back too badly.

Post Script: Went by Harrell's to check on a used FS bike. Thinking heavily about the used Gary Fisher on sale. Very light. Much more bike than I have now. Just concerned about not having disc brakes, but then again I get by without them now.

Next Goal: Riverfest 5k on May 3 under 30 minutes

Current Staus: Debating used fs bike or new hardtail.

Upcoming: Rest Day for the Peleton.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Now that you know the trail a bit, we'll pick up speed next time. It's a great trail to point out your lack of skills. It exposes mine as much as spider woman does :)

I think you should go with the sugar. I know it's way more bike that your hotrock and I'd rather have full suspension with V brakes than a hardtail with mechanical disc any day.

Training Tim said...

Thanks for the advice. I've been swaying back and forth. Now I'll put the hard sell on the wife to fork over the credit card!