Wednesday, April 23, 2008

When Treadmills Go Bad

Today was the last run on week 8 of my 5k training program. Only one more week to go after this run. I decided to workout at the Y and fit in a weight training session as well.

Hitting the weights, I went through my regular routine: Stretching, Crunches, Push-ups, Bicep Curls, Tricep Extensions, Sit-ups, Obliques with Medicine Ball, Some back stuff, Some shoulder stuff, Some flies, and Some butterfly crunches with a medicine ball. A pretty good overall workout. I usually have a 2 day rotation so I don't hit the same muscle groups on consecutive days, but I got off on my routine, and have scrapped the plan and just put a whole mess of stuff together this week. Not very scientific, but oh well.

Transitioning to the treadmill area, I realized I was still a little light headed, just like yesterday. Having the same feeling this morning, I talked to the nurse at my school; she checked my vitals, and informed me that I probably have sinus issues. Aww! That makes sense. So getting up the energy to run today was not easy. Sluggishly, I started my iPod, and began a 5 minute warmup walk. Moved to a 11 minute mile pace for the first 5 minutes; 10 minute mile pace the next 5 minutes; and 9 1/2 minute mile pace the next 5, when I popped the safety device thingy and my treadmill stopped. With the ear phones in, I can't hear much, so I'm not exactly sure if I cursed out loud, but I definetly thought some bad things.

Argh! I was completely in the zone, pushing myself hard, and then bonk. Nothing. Rushing to get going again, I cranked the belt back up. I never did get in the groove again. The rest of my run was a struggle. My legs stayed tight, my breathing was off, and focus was lost. Continuing, I was bothered by the sweat running down my face, knocked the cord out again, and kept watching the timer for the end of my run. I never do that. I usually stare ahead at the blank TV screen in front of me (watching TV while jogging is just plain irritating in my opinion, so I cut the dang thing off).

I have no idea how many calories I burned, or what the total mileage was, since the treadmill reset each time I tripped it, but I am pretty sure my overall pace was below a 10 minute mile. At least that's some good news. I'm on target for my goal next Saturday.

Next Goal: Riverfest Epilepsy 5k under 29 minutes (Yeah, that's right. I'm going lower.)

Current Status: Tight left calf still. Clogged sinus?? But, feeling strong.

Upcoming: Not sure. I have a meeting at school tomorrow night. Hopefully, I can at least put in some bike work on a trainer tomorrow night, since I'll miss my spin class time.

Postscript: I am planning on buying the used GF Sugar FS bike at Harrell's tomorrow if it is still there. Yeah!

1 comment:

Jason said...

Under 29 mins... rock on!