Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I'm still Alive!

OK, it's been some time. Nothing wrong, just been kinda boring. I have not been inspired to share, and work has left me exhausted in the evenings.

On a good note, I have been biking regularly to and from work. I have only missed a few days lately. I really enjoy it, and all the kids at my school think I'm really cool! And, they like to laugh at the shorts!! Occasionally, I a school bus full of my school kids passes me, and the all cheer me on. And, at stop lights, I often get the "That's Mr. Swick!!" double take by sleepy parents and students. Last week, I did a total of about 21 miles on the bike just commuting. My avg. speed is only 15 mph, but I have lots of steep hills and lights. I think it was Thursday morning, too, when I realized that 60 degree weather is cold on a bike. Time to purchase some warmer clothes. 

Also, I have increased my running miles last week up to 18. Using the interval trainer off of podrunner on iTunes, has helped push the greater distance. I'm not terribly speedy. I'm doing mostly 10 min. miles, but I like going longer distances. However, they are starting to take a toll on my body. I strained my right groin and ankle running last week. I plan to take it easier this week. I been running on the trails in sandhills more, as well. I like the hills, and soft surface. Plus, I get to see some interesting things a treadmill just doesn't offer. I believe I scared a coyote on Friday when I was running. Just caught a glimpse, but I've heard tales he's back there!

This week so far has been a big bust. I had planned a new urban assault on Sesqui after work one day when I was talking to Amy on Sunday, and then BAM! I've been struggling with a stomache thing ever since. I won't share the details, but tailgating on Saturday, and hitting the Greekfest on Sunday caught up with me. I'm still not ready to do any real training. Yesterday, I got home from work, and had the shakes getting off the bike after riding home. I did NOT ride today, and don't have plans for tomorrow either. Also, I've done no running either. Hopefully, I will feel ready to do something on Wednesday. The pool is open at the Y again, and I have been missing my swims.

Next Goal: 12k in Oct

Current Status: Sour Stomache

Upcoming: Time will tell

1 comment:

Jason said...

Let me know if you are a Ray Tanner 12k or 5k guy :) I'm still sticking with the 5k.